Monday, June 18, 2012

BCG Related Infections


Dear Dr. Lamm,

I am an 78 year old retired general surgeon in Dallas, Texas, with transitional cell carcinoma in situ of my urinary bladder and, now, probable BCG-related right epididymo orchitis.  I have undergone induction BCG treatment as per your protocol, followed by maintenance Rx. consisting of one bladder irrigation with BCG once monthly.  My care has been under the direction of a board certified urologist (Michael Gross, M.D.) a member of Dr. Mel Kadesky's urology group.   I am now NED according to repeat cystograms and biopsies at three-month intervals that have shown no residual malignancy in either of the last two exams.  FISH tests to date have been non diagnostic because of insufficient cells to examine.  Altogether, I have been NED eight months after one induction course of BCG followed by maintenance as described above.  For the past six months the irrigations have been associated with significant pain and swelling of my right testicle.  I have had no symptoms of BCG systemic sepsis.  Recently, I developed a right scrotal fistula.  It is, perhaps, significant that 20 years ago I had a TUIP to release a bladder neck stricture and excision of multiple bladder diverticulae.  Several years later, I underwent a left epididymectomy to remove a large spermatocele.  There is, therefore, no epididymus on the left but there is one on the right where the abscess and fistula are located.

I have recently been placed on treatment for the tubercular left epidymo-orchitis with Isoniazid 300 mgm, Rifampin 600 mgm, and Ethambutal 1200 mgm daily.  A year of treatment is planned.  Abscess cultures are pending.  I am totally asymptomatic except for a mass in my left scrotum and a small amount of clear liquid drainage from the fistula.  

My urologist has never seen this type of complication from BCG therapy.  Apparently there is no one in Dallas who has any experience with this complication.  That is why I am turning to you for advice.  

To begin with, my urologist tells me I must forego any further BCG therapy.  I am most reluctant to do this.  If the epididymus became infected could the previous TUIP have set the stage for this complication by allowing retrograde flow of the irrigation fluid into the prostate and thence to the epididymis?  If so, could this source of infection be eliminated by a right epididymectomy and orchiectomy and allow for resumption of BCG?  As noted I have previously undergone a left epididymectomy.

Finally, do you have any suggestions about how to improve the results of the FISH tests?  At this point I face loss of maintenance treatment with BCG irrigations as well as absence of diagnostic quality FISH tests to monitor for recurrent disease.  I would be most grateful for your suggestions.

Very truly yours,

John H. Cottey, M.D.


Dear Dr. Cottey,


You are absolutely correct. The problem can be solved, I believe, with a right epedidymectomy (on your antibiotics).  This will speed your recovery, reduce the amount of time you need to be on TB antibiotics, and allow you to continue on BCG as needed.  This is a recognized complication of BCG therapy, and yes, it is related to reflux down the vas.  The "good" news is that not only are you cancer free, but the infection will reduce the amount of BCG maintenance you need in the future.  When you do return to BCG maintenance, I strongly suggest reduced dose. 

FISH and cytology can be improved by doing a bladder wash at the time of cystoscopy.  We start with a small (20cc) volume of saline and use all the residual urine in the specimen.  We also wash the prostatic urethra, which is at risk for developing CIS in the ducts.
Best regards,
Don Lamm, MD

2 comments:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,
    ​Esophageal cancer,​Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,​Hodgkin lymphoma
    ​Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,​Multiple myeloma,​Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,​Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,​Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
    ​Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,​Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,​Vulvar cancer
    Bipolar Disorder, ​
    Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Anal cancer.Appendix cancer.
    ,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer.
    Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis
    Alzheimer's disease,Brain cancer.Dementia.Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, ..WhatsApp phone number+ 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete